Barns, Hay and Kittens
My little goat herd is growing, and in need of more shelter space. After the earlier renovations to the barn which added a milking parlor and enlarged the chicken coop, the goat room shrunk and was now too small for 8 goats. We decided the next addition would be a partially enclosed 'porch' to provide shade and shelter. The old porch (from the trailer that was original on the property) was moved again for the fourth time. It is only a few feet away and will stay here until it falls down. Amazingly it is still in one piece although the roof is leaning forward more than it did before the move. Because we had to stop and haul hay, the project is not quite complete, but hopefully soon.
30 round bales of hay - well, make that 29 after one rolled over the hill - stacked and covered on top of the hill. We built a 40 X 10 X 10 frame with 2X4s and covered it with plastic to keep the hay dry and still allow for ventilation. One of these bales should feed the sheep for several days, although they must be moved by the tractor. Combined with the 300 square bales we have already from Dad's farm, and potentially one more cutting, we should have plenty of hay for the winter.
This little guy found a fun place to play hide and seek by the back door.
About a week ago I came home and found that this little girl had been injured, and was in very poor condition. It appeared that something had bit her. Two tooth (or fang) marks and a large amount of swelling was on the underside of her neck. She was listless and obviously in a great deal of pain. I have been treating her with an antibiotic, nsaids and goat's milk, and she is doing much better. The skin at the wound site is now sloughing off leaving an open wound, so the plastic collar was put on to keep her from scratching at the wound.
My name is Christy Franklin.