This project has become more fun and interesting than I originally expected. Fear of lye has become determination to master. The first recipe I tried on 11/30 turned out to be lye heavy, The reason, is I selected the wrong type of coconut oil when running it through the lye calculator (who knew there was a difference between 76 degree and fractionated coconut oil? not me). I realized something was wrong when I tried using the soap and it left my skin feeling very dry, not moist as I had expected. I re-ran the lye content using the correct (76 degree) coconut oil and discovered I had used almost a full ounce too much lye. This created a 0% superfat level (meaning the lye used up all of the oil in the soap leaving no extra) which is too harsh to use on the skin. All is not lost however. I found a way to use it to make laundry detergent by shredding it up, adding baking soda and washing soda (soda ash).
So, since the first recipe was a flop I had to try, try again.
My second attempt was a 8% superfat (moisturizing) with additives - oatmeal and local honey. I can't wait to try this one.
Next was a basic 5% cleansing bar using fats and oils that can be purchased in the grocery store.
Both of these were made using the hot process technique so they can be used (and gifted) by Christmas. They have been pH tested, so I feel much more confident this time.
My name is Christy Franklin.